Thinking about a new DD Duramax
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thinking about a new DD Duramax

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Will be in the market in the next year for a new DD truck. I plan to own it for 15 years and 300,000+ miles.

I have considered another 1/2 ton gasser as I love the current gen GM trucks. Maybe twin turbo it etc, but confident the TT would eliminate the 15 year 300k plan

Enter the 2017+ 2500 HD duramax. 445hp and 910ft lbs caught my attention. I have never owned a diesel and all the stigma that goes with it. But like a month to flame, this truck intrigues me.

I don't tow much anymore, but I do plow snow in my neighborhood, about 2 driveways and 1 mile of private road. So this truck is overkill.

For the duramax or diesel experts, am I crazy to do this for a long term high mileage Daily truck?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.caran...?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    how long is your commute? when I had mine and my commute was 6 or 7 miles, I had to start the truck 30 min before I left just to have heat. maybe the new ones have an electric heater in them to make up for that, but my 2006 LLY didnt.

other than that, they hold their value very well, if you put a tune it it, the gas mileage is pretty good for a truck.....and they are quite peppy.
    Silver surfer, 2016 Radiant Silver V3, 11.31@125 stock
    little red- 9.99@138 on the corn best mph 139 1/4 108.6 1/8 (sold)
    big silver - 9.63@142 on the spray (sold)

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

14 miles prestarting is pretty normal around here in a gasser

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    yea, its gonna be a chilly ride unless you warm it up. but like I said, im sure the new plush trucks have something to fix that. aside from that, if you dont mind the truck-like ride/feel, a durabeast is hard to beat.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    They are nice trucks. My last 3 trucks over last 15 years have all been diesels. Owned Cummins and now a 2011 Duramax. The Duramax ride and Allison tranny are top notch. No Comparison to my Dodge. The engine is good but first thing you will need to get rid of is the emmisions crap. On ALL the new diesels with Urea injection and DPF etc they are problematic and when it regenerates mileage does down the drain. Granted it does run like water vapor with no diesel smell but the headaches and mileage loss is not worth it IMHO. I got rid of my DPF and had truck retuned just mild with none of that stuff and runs better then it ever does. On long runs on the highway I can see 21-22 mpg and average around 18 around town 15 mpg loaded. I have a long bed , crew cab 2500 HD . Comes in around 8500 lbs-9000 lbs. So great mileage for a truck that heavy. My buddies gasser is lucky to see 12-15 on a good day on the highway. Resale is no question. Go for it. You won't be sorry.
    2010 CTS V Thunder Grey- JRE Custom Blower cam, Comp Cam trunion upgrade, hardened pushrods, Kooks Headers with 2 inch primary, Kooks X pipe no cats, factory mufflers, 10 inch Lower ATI, ID 850s, Air Raid w/ green filter, Metco solid isolater, LPE Varimax IAC Pump, MT 305 DR on Factory rims.VMAX LS3 Ported TB. 630/600 93 Pump gas ....671/638 Torco

Best et 10.37@131 mph...NEW BEST 1.53 60 foot and 105.60 MPH in 1/8th...

Stage 4 .... Added Trick Flow 255 Heads with Brian Tooley springs, 102 Nick Williams TB, Jokerz ported snout and blower, ID 1300 injectors, DMS flex fuel sensor kit, Fore Twin Pump Fuel System, Formatto Ice Box,Dyno Speed 4.5 intake. Pullied 2.5 and 9.55, Conservatively Tuned on E85 . Made 762/741. New Ets to come soon..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    If you can find an 08-10 that's what I would get. All you have to worry about is the dpf system. The dpf system can be removed for "off road" purposes and a tune like mentioned and picks up a ton of mpg. The newer ones come with the def system. Something extra for the exhaust system.. most new ones come with a block heater.
    jlctsv likes this.

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by c55asleep View Post
    If you can find an 08-10 that's what I would get. All you have to worry about is the dpf system. The dpf system can be removed for "off road" purposes and a tune like mentioned and picks up a ton of mpg. The newer ones come with the def system. Something extra for the exhaust system.. most new ones come with a block heater.

man, that block heater sucks down some KWh from the electric company.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_V View Post
    man, that block heater sucks down some KWh from the electric company.
    Just use a decent timer and run it for 3 hrs before you actually leave in the morning from the ripper bar. We're on smartass meters here, so early mornings are the lowest rate anyway. IIRC 10.6cents/kwh.
    2009 CTS V Black Raven Sedan, M6, Recaro's, Ultraview
    Stage 0.6 Airaid CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, Kooks catted xpipe, stock mufflers, Mamofied LS7, NGK TR6, SM Dual CC, 160F stat, Dynojet tuned by Dave @dasilvamotorsport, SAE 526hp/508tq/91oct

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I've been eyeing the smaller Duramax GMC Colorado, seems decent for those of us with small families and no need to pull a horse trailer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    As long as it has remote start I should be good

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    If I didn't plan to due much towing I would honestly stick to a gasser as a commuter DD vehicle.

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    if they would put the small duramax into a tahoe/danali/escalade, that would be the shiznit!
    Mprtetr, pepn3385 and Darnell like this.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    My wife would have a new Denali ASAP if they came out with that!
    2010 WD A6 Best ET: 10.89@131, 1.61 60', 2800' DA

Stage 1
    4.5" G-force intake w/ green filter, LS7 Mamo TB, Formato ported snout/blower, 850cc injectors, 2.4 pulley, DSteck flex fuel, Accell ceramic wires, Br7ef, Kooks headers and x-pipe w/ 3" Magnaflow resonators, Irish ZL1 lid, TA HX, Norcal box, LPE pump, SMC catch cans, 17"welds w/ 295's, 18" welds w/185's, gorilla lugs, Hp tuners Pro, AFR500 wideband

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    if they would put the small duramax into a tahoe/danali/escalade, that would be the shiznit!
    Sign me up

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by c55asleep View Post
    No way would I ever choose a LMM over a LML. (I don't know enough about the newest iteration to speak to that one.)

I have no idea why people get so wadded up about DEF. The cost is minimal, a full tank lasts for thousands of miles, and when you do need to fill it, it takes about 2 minutes. People act as if you have to fill the thing up weekly. I've owned 2 of them, a 2012 3500 Denali SRW and my current 2015 Denali dually. I had about 50k on the 2012 when I traded for the dually and am now at about 24k on the 2015 with zero issues on either of them. A lot of those miles are with a 12k+ pound trailer out back.

I used the 2012 as a DD and loved it. The dually is a semi-DD. It shares time with the wagon and 'ole Rusty (01 Yukon) depending on my mood when I walk to the garage in the morning.
    2014 Black Diamond Wagon, M6, Stage IV baby seat mod.

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CRT Wagon

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Botch316 View Post
    No way would I ever choose a LMM over a LML. (I don't know enough about the newest iteration to speak to that one.)

I have no idea why people get so wadded up about DEF. The cost is minimal, a full tank lasts for thousands of miles, and when you do need to fill it, it takes about 2 minutes. People act as if you have to fill the thing up weekly. I've owned 2 of them, a 2012 3500 Denali SRW and my current 2015 Denali dually. I had about 50k on the 2012 when I traded for the dually and am now at about 24k on the 2015 with zero issues on either of them. A lot of those miles are with a 12k+ pound trailer out back.

I used the 2012 as a DD and loved it. The dually is a semi-DD. It shares time with the wagon and 'ole Rusty (01 Yukon) depending on my mood when I walk to the garage in the morning.
    To each there own bud... don't know what's the big deal with an LMM.. stout motor that's for sure. Had 50k with a set of MPI twins and not a single issue.. btw it's still going. The gentleman that has it stayed in contact with me and the engine has a little over 100k. Engine was always ran with a street race tune and is a mid 12 second truck. Good luck with yours.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'll add my 2 cents here. Have had a 2011 Silverado 3500 Dually (LML) since new. It is a work truck but also my daily driver for other than V season

I absolutely love the truck. I currently have about 130K and probably 30K of that is towing the V in an enclosed trailer. I tend to have a heavy right foot and I get the same mileage on my diesel as my V 15mpg everywhere, same commute. The dually is not as good in the snow as the single rear wheel due to all the surface area of the 4 tires in back but never been a problem in 4wd. 2wd can be pretty scary in snow. Mine had remote start WITH a high idle option for winter allowing the truck to warm up in the first ten minutes of idling. MUST HAVE for cold climates IMO.

Regarding reliability, I have replaced shocks and glow plugs. I had two glow plugs go so I just replaced them all as preventative. Also had the DEF pump replaces at 110K under warranty. The def is a mild pain but never really had a problem with it. It is nice IMO driving a diesel that doesn't pump black soot when you punch it. Exhaust is really clean on this truck.

I can also add, the 3500 parts are HUGE from the frame to the brake rotors. These things look really beefy IMO. Go for it with a clear conscious
    2011 Sedan Raven Black - Forged 406LSA, Ported Heads and blower, Kooks Headers w/cats, Airaid Intake, 9.55 lower, GT11 Cam and BTR springs, Ported LS7 TB, ZL1 Lid, WeaponX Heat Exchanger + Stewart pump, NORCAL HX Tank, ID850's, Speed, Inc. dyno tune, D3 springs, super secret sway bars, WeaponX diff cooler

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

If they would put the full sized Duramax in a Suburban I would buy it sight unseen!
    2011 Sedan Raven Black - Forged 406LSA, Ported Heads and blower, Kooks Headers w/cats, Airaid Intake, 9.55 lower, GT11 Cam and BTR springs, Ported LS7 TB, ZL1 Lid, WeaponX Heat Exchanger + Stewart pump, NORCAL HX Tank, ID850's, Speed, Inc. dyno tune, D3 springs, super secret sway bars, WeaponX diff cooler

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by blubyu View Post
    If I didn't plan to due much towing I would honestly stick to a gasser as a commuter DD vehicle.
    Yeah I tend to agree on the gasser, but I don't see the LT5.3 or LT6.2 being a 300k 15 year truck.

Maybe I am wrong, but aren't diesels far more long legged than gassers?

Darnell likes this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Yeah I tend to agree on the gasser, but I don't see the LT5.3 or LT6.2 being a 300k 15 year truck.

I really have no idea on new age diesels to be honest. The ones of a decade or two ago would last for that mileage but you never really know how much maintenance related items were pumped into it to get it to last that long. I feel like a ls would run that long if left alone but they are just too easy to mod to do that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

LS is a no brainer, LT is too new and unproven.

Hell the 2017 2500HD still offers the 6.0l LS

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Yea if I got a GM gasser it would definitely be an LS based model. It might be dinosaur technology but the shit works and is reliable as hell!

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    buy a 2007 LBZ, put a tune on it, get the interior pimped, and run it into the ground

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Could always twin turbo an L96 6.0L

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

I expect at least 300K out of my 2011. I've got a friend that has over 300K on his Duramax (05-ish) and it still runs strong and does not burn significant oil. He has done some maintenance. I think he may have done injectors at some point but not 100% sure along with the normal wear items.. He is planning on keeping it another couple years then buying another.

A 6.0 twin turbo would be fun but the torque down low on the diesels is quite amazing. Had a Yukon with a 6.2 and it had much less low end grunt and you had to rev it to get it moving, not great for a truck IMO and the diesel dosn't even downshift when you push to pass . Twins might have plenty down low but I always thought you had to get more into the rpm to get power out of turbos.
    Last edited by dbish; 12-20-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    2004 LS with 225K+ miles on it, only issue was related to the injectors, which they have since corrected on the newer models. Maintenance can be higher and front end suspension components will wear faster, simply due to the weight, they are big girls. I do tow with it, but it is also my DD. As others have mentioned it does take them a long time to warm up, the LS with heated leather is certainly worth it.
    Heavily modified exterior, stock Recaro seats, stock LSA-for now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

I've got a friend that has over 300K on his Duramax (05-ish) and it still runs strong and does not burn significant oil. He has done some maintenance. I think he may have done injectors at some point but not 100% sure. He is planning on keeping it another couple years then buying another.

I expect at least 300K out of my 2011. I've got a friend that has over 300K on his Duramax (05-ish) and it still runs strong and does not burn significant oil. He has done some maintenance. I think he may have done injectors at some point but not 100% sure along with the normal wear items.. He is planning on keeping it another couple years then buying another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    buy a 2007 LBZ, put a tune on it, get the interior pimped, and run it into the ground
    Just bought an 07 Sierra 2500HD Classic (LBZ) which is already tuned. Drove it from Texas to MI with no problems and plan to have it for 10 years of service!
    TY2185 likes this.
    Eric

2011 6M Wagon - Evo Green
    ZL1 Lid
    LS2/3 Cam w/ kit
    ID850's
    Airaid
    Kooks Headers & Exhaust
    9.1 / 2.55
    Ported 90mm TB
    Low Mount HX
    642 whp / 652 wtq

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I think all the new diesels have a high idle option for cold days. They also usually come with an exhaust brake. Kick the high idle on and engage the exhaust brake, it will warm up in no time.
    Hidden Content
    2010 Black Fully Optioned Fully Built
    ID850's - Manley Rods - Manley Pistons - Ported/Polished Heads - Kooks Longtube headers - Corsa exhaust
    ARP Studs - Custom Ground Cam - IW 8.6 lower 2.4 upper - Track Attack HX - NorCal Tank - ZL1 Lid
    High Flow HX Pump - Moroso Catch Can - Passport CI 9500 keeping tickets in check when in Mexico

2009 Radiant Silver Fully Optioned (SOLD) because I'm a dumb ass

"Smart people learn from others mistakes, Fool's learn from their own"

Sorry if my posts arent as expert as you would like and have made you more stupid than you already were...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I have (5) Duramax's starting from LB7-LMM engines, all modded in one way or another. Not once did they let me down. If you're looking for something that'll last, have more power and actually be worth a little something in 15 years get the Duramax.

As mentioned, you could use the block heater to warm it up quicker in the mornings. Being in Socal I never had that issue plus my commute was more than a couple miles. The newer trucks have heated steering wheels as an option too.

The last truck I had was a LBZ with GT4094/GTX4508 compound turbos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a new DD Duramax-img_20141122_164453.jpg

16' Frost White ATS-V Coupe
    A6 V Sedan, Thanks to Tom and Izzy at Izzy Performance
    12' Jeep JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Lift, 35" Toyos and 18" Fuels
    06' Duramax, Twin Turbo, 60% Over Injectors, Built Trans, etc. etc...
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links