Stock v3's with detonation
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Stock v3's with detonation

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Stock v3's with detonation

Has anyone noticed puffs of smoke from detonation coming from the exhaust on acceleration?
    Silver surfer, 2016 Radiant Silver V3, 11.31@125 stock
    little red- 9.99@138 on the corn best mph 139 1/4 108.6 1/8 (sold)
    big silver - 9.63@142 on the spray (sold)

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'll be the first to chime in. I have this smoke on acceleration and have monitored knock at WOT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I have lots of smoke on acceleration. I have datalogged a lot but hardly ever see KR but every damn time its on the dyno it gets 5-6 deg of kr consistently. I always attributed the smoke to its running rich.
    Whipple 2.9, 103 TB, Intake
    10.66 @134

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I haven't noticed a lot of smoke on acceleration but at WOT in higher gears, I tend to see 3-4.6 deg of KR. I'm pretty sure it is false knock and I'm tempted to tune it out after verifying. This was killing my quarter mile runs.... only managed 11.8 at 118ish.
    2016 CTS-V: Radiant Silver - Recaros Blk/Blk - Carbon Fiber Pkg - Luxury Pkg - After Midnight Wheels - Performance Data Recorder - UltraView - Sueded/Microfiber Wheel/Shift Knob

Sold 2010 CTS-V 6MT: Airaid/Green Filter - 2.5 Upper - IW Balancer/9.1 Ring - Ported TB/Snout - ZL1 Lid - BTR Stg 3 Cam Kit - FlexFuel Sensor - Squash E85 Fuel System - ID850s - RPS BC2 Clutch - T-Rex Fluidyne HX/Fans/LPE Varimax Pump - Kooks Headers/Catless X-Pipe - RX Dual Valve Catch Can - Nitrous Outlet TB Kit/CTS-V Switch Panel/LPE Timing Box - QTP Electric Cutouts - Core Shifters Short Throw - PLX M-300 TE Wideband - Aeroforce Interceptor - Autographed by John Heinricy - Build/Tune by CBI Street Cars/DSX Tuning

Sold 2007 CTS-V: Factory FG2 Car - 4th Gen Diff - PISNUOFF's Custom Shifter - TruBendz Magnaflow High Flow Cats - Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust - K&N Drop-In - Tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I only see a tiny bit at cold start idling for the first 2-3 min in the sun 35 degree weather.

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I will see if I can hook up my HP Tuners this week and see which cylinders are doing it.

When I ran at the track with 116 octane unleaded, there was zero smoke all day.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I've had puffs of smoke on a WOT downshift/acceleration but can't speak to knock. I assume the smoke is the computer dumping a ton of fuel for cooling purposes.
    2016 CTS-V
    Crystal white tricoat
    Recaro seats
    WXM Carbon Fiber CAI - Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    What color smoke?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, Interior 100% stock.
    Custom touches here and there...needs driver mod badly!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    Pulley and tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I have never followed behind my car to tell. but any color smoke, I shouldnt look like im spraying for mosquitoes when I punch it going up an on-ramp. I can feel the hesitation like its getting some knock.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    The Z06 corvettes I've seen at the track seem to puff a lot of smoke on the shift. Someone said it was the pcm dumping excess fuel for catalytic converter cooling, but I don't know how reliable that info was. It's even more prominent on a friends Z with the primary cats removed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    It could be knock because the low quality of pump gasoline around the country only gets worse with the winter blend.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V | Sedan | Automatic | Crystal Red Tintcoat

Stage 1: Remote Tuned by Pat G | Griptech 2.45 Pulley | Texas Speed 2" Headers with Offroad X-Pipe to Stock Mufflers | FIC 1000 Injectors (Pump 93 Gas) | Airaid with Green Filter | Mamo-Ported LS7 Throttle Body

Others: NGK TR7IX Spark Plugs @ ~ .032" | Lingenfelter Solid Isolator | Belden Spark Plug Wires | Gates Belt | WeaponX LED DRLs and HID Fogs | LED Internal and License Plate Lights | RHO License Plate Relocator | DashLogic

Previous: 2013 Mustang GT - Automatic - Bolt Ons (N.A.) & E85 - 410 RWHP

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Basically all stock cars smoke at WOT because they're tuned so fat...
    Should I use the LSA or the LS9 today?

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Since I have to tune a lot of cars on 91 octane I get pretty used to pulling a lot of timing out of stock maps to make the cars happy even without the boost turned up. I always assumed that it wouldn't be near as much on 93 but GM does run them rich and try to shove in a good amount of timing when the mixture gets into the 1.3X EQ ratio range.

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    So nothing you would worry about?

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMike View Post
    The Z06 corvettes I've seen at the track seem to puff a lot of smoke on the shift. Someone said it was the pcm dumping excess fuel for catalytic converter cooling, but I don't know how reliable that info was. It's even more prominent on a friends Z with the primary cats removed.
    The job of the cat is to burn off excess fuel. If the PCM dumps MORE fuel thru the engine the cat will get HOTTER as it burns/catalyzes the unburnt fuel. That can't be for cooling the cats. Must be something else...

7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan View Post
    The job of the cat is to burn off excess fuel. If the PCM dumps MORE fuel thru the engine the cat will get HOTTER as it burns/catalyzes the unburnt fuel. That can't be for cooling the cats. Must be something else...

The PCM definitely increases fueling to cool the cats.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

I think that would be true if the cats had a supply of oxygen. The cats can only burn so much without a good supply of oxygen.
    10.66 @134

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
    The PCM definitely increases fueling to cool the cats.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRockey View Post
    I think that would be true if the cats had a supply of oxygen. The cats can only burn so much without a good supply of oxygen.
    Hocky: ...I'll admit I'm not a catalytic converter expert. But I'm also not quite ready to accept a claim without a sound explanation. In this case, what should be shown is the chemical reaction equation that balances the inputs and outputs of the converter. Hydrocarbons in, what comes out? Normally that would include by-product of hydrocarbon breakdown plus heat. If there's enough fuel that makes it thru the combustion chamber, it could - in theory - cover the wash coat of the converter enough to prevent the catalyst from doing its job. In that case the exhaust would smell awful and the cats would indeed run cooler. But I highly doubt such a design would pass in today's world of strict emission controls. I've done a little Google searching and can find nowhere in a modern car - especially in a GDI engine - where excess fuel is used to cool the cats. That would almost be contrary to the point of having those cats to begin with.

JRockey: Check me on this but in many cases the oxygen is supplied by the reduction of nitrogen oxides and other compounds - usually in a three way or multi-phase convertor setup. In this way no free oxygen is needed to supply the cats.

So I thought phase 1 of catalyzation was the breakdown/reduction of oxides of nitrogen and similar compounds, followed by consumption of the newly liberated oxygen to consume unburned fuel and so on...
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Hocky: ...I'll admit I'm not a catalytic converter expert. But I'm also not quite ready to accept a claim without a sound explanation. In this case, what should be shown is the chemical reaction equation that balances the inputs and outputs of the converter. Hydrocarbons in, what comes out? Normally that would include by-product of hydrocarbon breakdown plus heat. If there's enough fuel that makes it thru the combustion chamber, it could - in theory - cover the wash coat of the converter enough to prevent the catalyst from doing its job. In that case the exhaust would smell awful and the cats would indeed run cooler. But I highly doubt such a design would pass in today's world of strict emission controls. I've done a little Google searching and can find nowhere in a modern car - especially in a GDI engine - where excess fuel is used to cool the cats. That would almost be contrary to the point of having those cats to begin with.

JRockey: Check me on this but in many cases the oxygen is supplied by the reduction of nitrogen oxides and other compounds - usually in a three way or multi-phase convertor setup. In this way no free oxygen is needed to supply the cats.

So I thought phase 1 of catalyzation was the breakdown/reduction of oxides of nitrogen and similar compounds, followed by consumption of the newly liberated oxygen to consume unburned fuel and so on...

Your words....they hurt my head.
    10.66 @134

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    If the excess fuel is there, perhaps it's to cool the exhaust valves or other reasons, not specifically for catalytic purposes? The conversion of exhaust gases and having excess fuel in the converter are not necessarily directly connected - but fuel is a coolant and will briefly protect the catalytic metals (stalling the catalytic process) before coming a secondary source of heat; and we all know excess fuel in the long-term will destroy the converters for a variety of reasons, including heat from the secondary combustion.

Given the focus of emissions and warranty lifespan, I can't imagine that the engineers would purposefully sacrifice the converters by dumping fuel into the exhaust under WOT, so it makes me think this must be the lesser of two evils from a longevity standpoint: We know the aftermarket has higher durability converters that are better able to withstand the heat from high horsepower F/I vehicles, so perhaps the OEM's have a solution as well and the extra fuel is simply there to protect the engine, knowing that the emissions equipment is durable enough to survive it?

We'll have to wait and see how many tuned V3's start melting converters.
    Last edited by random84; 01-11-2017 at 05:10 AM.
    Please enjoy my personal testing of common performance modifications, and as always: your mileage may vary!

Comparison Threads:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    If the excess fuel is there, perhaps it's to cool the exhaust valves or other reasons, not specifically for catalytic purposes? The conversion of exhaust gases and having excess fuel in the converter are not necessarily directly connected - but fuel is a coolant and will briefly protect the catalytic metals (stalling the catalytic process) before coming a secondary source of heat; and we all know excess fuel in the long-term will destroy the converters for a variety of reasons, including heat from the secondary combustion.

Given the focus of emissions and warranty lifespan, I can't imagine that the engineers would purposefully sacrifice the converters by dumping fuel into the exhaust under WOT, so it makes me think this must be the lesser of two evils from a longevity standpoint: We know the aftermarket has higher durability converters that are better able to withstand the heat from high horsepower F/I vehicles, so perhaps the OEM's have a solution as well and the extra fuel is simply there to protect the engine, knowing that the emissions equipment is durable enough to survive it?

We'll have to wait and see how many tuned V3's start melting converters.
    Doesn't US Federal law require a full 10 year warranty on safety and emissions equipment? Given that I can't see them doing anything that would risk damaging a VERY expensive platinum coated convertor....

7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    The tables in the pcm that provide the extra fueling are called "cat over temp." That is pretty self explanatory, I think.
    random84 and Got Bearings? like this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
    The tables in the pcm that provide the extra fueling are called "cat over temp." That is pretty self explanatory, I think.
    Lol - yup, I guess that's it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Please enjoy my personal testing of common performance modifications, and as always: your mileage may vary!

Comparison Threads:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Delete converters and tune the damn things. They run way better
    houdini and Slamking18 like this.

Jaguar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I did V-Lab couple months back at COTA, during track sessions every car in front of me smoked on a WOT shift eventually. It was definitely more pronounced on the CTS than the ATS. Those things also had wicked power/stability management that enabled you to flat foot it through 1.25g turns, maybe a relation?
    2012 OBM Coupe A6
    Stage 1 - Airaid CAI, FIC1000's, Dsteck Flex Sensor, HX Tank, Varimax Pump, QTP Cutouts, Pat-G Tuned
    Stage Airaid - G-Force Tuned - 515rwhp/487rwtq (176.2mph TX Mile) Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Cat Over Temp exists and DOES dump fuel. On my old Impala SS, any time you went from 3.08's to 3.73 gears, the PCM would think the engine had a heavy load at cruise. I used to have datalogs that would show a flat line on the O2 sensors at 900mV for a good minute before they would return to functioning normally. That was way back in the LT1 Edit / Tuner Cat days....
    Hidden Content
    6M, Recaros, mostly stock...

Hidden Content - SOLD
    383, 6M

Hidden Content Originally Posted by mackleit01 Hidden Content
    When Bearings states WTF, I'm not clicking on the link.
    SoCal CTS-V Owners: Join our local Hidden Content

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    So I finally went back and looked at logs from when I went to the track a few months ago.

The car is getting 2-5 degrees of knock the entire pass and this is with 5 gallons of 116 unleaded and probably 2 or 3 gallons of 93.

There is no reason that the car should knock. Iat2's were under 100 degrees.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_V View Post
    So I finally went back and looked at logs from when I went to the track a few months ago.

The car is getting 2-5 degrees of knock the entire pass and this is with 5 gallons of 116 unleaded and probably 2 or 3 gallons of 93.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery prior to running the 116/93 mix?

2X 9 second club
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    No, but not sure how that would help this case. Usually that fixes if the pcm is in low octane table and want it to reset to the high octane one.

my GM High Tech article:
    Hidden Content

See the videos at:
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_V View Post

The retard is not from detonation. There are many variables that cause the car to pull timing and a lot of what your logging may even be false.
    Go to Hp tuners form page and go to the beginning go the Gen V section and you will see all the issues related to what you describing. Even some being false KR. ( its showing KR but its not really happening)

For god sake stop being a vagina and start modding your car already!!! That will take care of everything!!!!
    Last edited by gonabite; 01-15-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    houdini and Red Baron like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links