2009 Gray V sedan - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2009 Gray V sedan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I like to fab parts. I fabbed a large majority of the parts on my last car; headers, rearend, suspension parts, accessory drive, oil pan, valve covers etc.. I got kinda burnt out on it a while ago. But I couldn't resist it any longer. It's all downhill from here. The catch can was a leftover from a friends car, but the bracket wouldn't work anywhere on my V.

I can't take credit for the idea, I saw this thread and got the gears turning. MM catch can installed with new bracket.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I felt the same way with my Typhoon. I made 12 passes the other night and didn't worry about anything! Way more fun then breaking stuff and working on it all the time!
    Congrats!
    Wade

2010 Sedan Thunder Gray ChromaFlair 6 speed Manual...AirRaid CAI.
    11.79@118 Milan Dragway Michigan
    166.65 MPH Michigan Mile July 2013
    146 MPH 1/2 Mile Battle Creek Speed Fest 2015

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    The tear down started today.

This rounds it's getting:
    LT1Z 2.5 cam kit with BTR springs, C5R Timing chain, new oil pump etc.
    Lingenfelter 2.5 upper
    ATI balancer with 8.6 Lower
    ID850 injectors
    Plugs wires
    160 thermostat
    ARH 1 7/8" headers with catted h-pipe

I got lucky and apparently my snout has been replaced not too long ago. So I'm going to do some mild porting, put the pulley on, reinforce the brick and put it all back on.

Lt1z likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Day two of tear down. Did not go completely as planned. I had two broken manifold bolts from Friday. One was broke before I even touched it, the other broke as I removed it. They were the rear most bolt on each side. Both had about 3/8" hanging out of the head. I was able to get the passenger side out in one piece. The drivers side just broke again, but flush with the head. It broke way too easy, it must be really soft. So off come the heads. I'm going to throw some new LS7 lifters in while they are off. I'm just going to put LS9 gaskets and new stock head bolts back on. I'm so tempted to port the heads but I don't have the money to send them off. I have done other sets of buick and sbc heads before, but on these I'm just not sure what to do with the swirl vane yet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

2009 Gray V sedan

I Crack the bolts by hand before I throw the rattle gun on it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cav454 View Post
    I Crack the bolts by hand before I throw the rattle gun on it.
    I did the same.

Here is how I left it today. Now it's time to clean all the parts and get it back together. I also used a friends mill today to remove the broken manifold bolt. It was incredibly soft. I cut it out with a HSS end mill. It shouldn't be that soft. What kind of bolts is GM using?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Do yourself a solid and skip any GM lifters. You can get Johnson 2110 or similar for not a while lot more money... and that's probably one of the more critical replacement pieces in your build.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Please enjoy my personal testing of common performance modifications, and as always: your mileage may vary!

Comparison Threads:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Do yourself a solid and skip any GM lifters. You can get Johnson 2110 or similar for not a while lot more money... and that's probably one of the more critical replacement pieces in your build.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    This. Times 50. I know you mentioned a tight budget but go for nice lifters. I just rebuilt a whole engine because of one failed lifter, supposedly a good aftermarket one. Lifters are not a bad place to spend a few extra bucks. I went with the Johson 2110's and glad I did. Time will tell of course but I think we've seen enough ruined motors from lifter failures.
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, block and interior still 100% stock.
    Power Hood, Forgelines, Black Moon's rocker blades, fancy tires
    Other custom touches here and there...
    556whp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    APR Pulley and Tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I swear when I had this off a couple months ago it was flat. It collapsed this much after 26 passes.

I'm going to have to borrow a slide hammer from a friend and pull it back out a little, then weld this plate on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Progress was slow today. I got the deck and head bolt threads cleaned out. Got some solvent for my parts washer and got the timing cover, oil pan and a few other parts cleaned up.

And I ported and put .075" worth of shim in the oil pump.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    More progress Yesterday. Got the cam in, and all the bottom end buttoned up. Just need to figure out what to do with the heads before I can go any further.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    What do you want to do with the heads?

CNC ported blowers, heads from WCCH, new Eaton rotor packs for your LSA blower, Mamo ported throttle bodies and more:
    Sales@dynamicflowconcepts.net
    Dynamicflowconcepts.net
    http://dynamicflowconcepts.net/t/superchargers

2010 Thunder Gray sedan, A6, ebony recaros, LPE 650 (well, sort of), AR headers with (blown out) cats, 22" Magnaflow resonators, 9.1/2.5" pulleys, ID1000's, ZL1 Lid, CNC ported blower, WCCH heads, Mamo Motorsports custom cam, 102mm TPIS TB, DSteck Flex Fuel module, ZR1 HX pump, custom HX tube set, Fluidyne 3X HX,4.5" intake tube, FlyingV installation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I would love to send them and the blower to you for porting, but it's not in the budget and I would miss my scheduled dyno time on Jan. 30th. I do have some head porting experience and I'm considering doing the basics on these myself. I'm only concerned that I'll nick a seat and have to get a valve job done which will likely take longer than the time remaining.

Pulling the heads wasn't in the original plans, so I'm deciding between sticking to the plan or go with the "while they are off" plan.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thank you.

You won't miss your dyno time, I can get them shipped within two weeks of receipt.

As for the heads, I could do an exchange, if time is really tight.

CNC ported blowers, heads from WCCH, new Eaton rotor packs for your LSA blower, Mamo ported throttle bodies and more:
    Dynamicflowconcepts.net

2010 Thunder Gray sedan, A6, ebony recaros, LPE 650 (well, sort of), AR headers with (blown out) cats, 22" Magnaflow resonators, 9.1/2.5" pulleys, ID1000's, ZL1 Lid, CNC ported blower, WCCH heads, Mamo Motorsports custom cam, 102mm TPIS TB, DSteck Flex Fuel module, ZR1 HX pump, custom HX tube set, Fluidyne 3X HX,4.5" intake tube, FlyingV installation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    ^^ good value and service right there.

My 2cents. You don't do heads and blower. 3weeks later your spewing u didn't and regret it
    random84 likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I just don't have the spare cash to spend to send them off right now. I do however have some spare time and all the tools to do it myself. I'm actually really impressed with the castings, they are fairly straight as is, just a few bumps and that big wing.

This one is pretty much roughed out. Tomorrow night I'll rough out the other head and then match and blend/polish everything. I might do more on the exhaust ports, not sure yet. I'm scared to get that seat area too thin.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    This is just enough porting that I remember why I hate it so much. My hands are tingling and my boogers are black.

Two heads roughed out. The exhaust ports are pretty much done. I cut out the rest of the bump and polished them.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    At least it's not cast iron.

Dynamicflowconcepts.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    True. Last time I ground some used cast iron heads was 19 years ago. I can still remember the smell.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Rockers re-trunioned.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    What are the specs of your cam choice and are you going to mill the heads to bump compression?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    It's an LT1Z 2.5 cam. I don't remember what the specs are. No plans to do any milling. I'm not taking enough out of the combustion chamber to make a difference over stock.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Good news and Bad news.

Bad first. I broke through to the spring seat on 5 of the intake ports (at least I'm more than 50% consistent). I have the holes welded, but I would need to drop the guides out to properly machine the spring seat back. Then I need a valve job that I was trying so hard to avoid with the tape. I had the heads finished, valves lapped, cleaned and starting to assembly when I saw a tiny "bubble" in the spring seat. It wasn't a happy day. I wish I had never touched them. They must be super thin there.

Kinda good news. I broke down and bought the GMPP CNC LS3 heads. I had a friends LS9 heads I could have bolted down, but they have severe valve guide wear. I could finish fixing mine, but who knows how much and how long that would take. These will be ready to go this weekend after I put my spring kit on. In the end I'll end up with a fresh set of heads. I just wish I had seen this up front and I could have sent my LSA heads off. Live and learn.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Normally I go work in the garage when I'm frustrated. Well when the garage is the source of frustration it's hard. I battled through it and redeemed myself a little fixing my heat exchanger.

Here is how it was.

After flushing the brick, pulling the "dent" out, welding a support plate on and leak checking it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    How I cleaned the brick. That's a very weak mixture of CLR and water that I ran through it for about 30 min. I did the same thing to flush it/ leak test it later with hot tap water.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Your comment about the worn guides on the LS9 heads should be noted. It is very common, I am told, due to the surface finish of the stems on the Ti intake valves.

Dynamicflowconcepts.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    They have 12k miles on them. Luckily my friend replaced them with some Trick Flows. He didn't know either. I only knew about it from searching and reading some threads here. I didn't put an indicator on them because it was so obvious. Easily .030" play at the top of the stem. The valves themselves had zero visible wear in them, so it was obviously all in the guides.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm curious now if anyone has run ported heads with an unported blower. The money for the GMPP heads was money I hadn't saved for this project, so paying to have the blower ported now is out of the question. But I would like to have a pro do the blower evantually because I'm gun shy and I just don't know what needs work and what doesn't in there. Searching brings up nothing.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Many people run ported heads and non-ported blowers.

Figure you're leaving 30-40 hp, on average, by not porting the blower.

It's pretty easy to do later on, as the worst part is the fuel rail, no water to deal with.

As to the guides, sounds exactly what I hear as well. The valve stems show no wear, but the finish is such that it grinds the softer guides. The best fix is aftermarket Del West valves. There's some improvement with getting the stock valve stems micropolished, but I am told the LS9 valves have less success than the LS7 valves.

Dynamicflowconcepts.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    New heads showed up yesterday. They appear to be a great bang for the buck. Everything is new, had them in two days. I swapped over the springs last night and will have them on this weekend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links