850's = tune or no tune
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eleventeen

Thread: 850's = tune or no tune

"V"roooooom
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

850's = tune or no tune

Do I have to have a tune done after upgrading to 850 injectors? This is my dd.
    Hidden Content
    2011 CTS V, RECAROS, ULTRAVIEW, EIBACH SPRINGS, CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS, CF AIRAID, PORTED LS7 TB, PORTED SNOUT, MUFFLER DELETE, 2.5 PULLEY, 1000 FIC INJECTORS, FLEX FUEL
    581 WHP ON 95
    612 WHP ON E85

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    yes.

Are you doing other mods? Even if you just put in id850 they flow differently so the ECU needs that data. You need a tune no way around it unless you want to kill your motor right away.
    Current mods
    Lt1z stage 2 cam - johnson lifters - Dynospeed 4.5 intake/Green filter - Mamo LS7 ported TB - ARH headers and x-pipe to stock mufflers - Weapon X Track attack HX - weaponX carbon fiber spoiler and side blades - Varimax HX pump - NGK afx wide band - 2.45 Griptech upper - ATI lower 8.8 ring - Green belt - idler pulley - Id850s, Zl1 lid - NGK TR7ix - MSD wires - Mighty mouse catch can - BMR ice box - Side Swipe -
    160ish or 170 thermostat- Tuned.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by P's2011V View Post
    My personal understanding when switching injectors to something other than stock, is you will need to have your tuner flash the compu BEFORE you even try and start or you will flood it, then get a tune/re-tune. I just went to the 850's and my tuner who's a good dude came to the house with a base program to flash my car so I can drive it to his shop (instead of rollback) for tuning/dyno work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida-Vee View Post
    My personal understanding when switching injectors to something other than stock, is you will need to have your tuner flash the compu BEFORE you even try and start or you will flood it, then get a tune/re-tune. I just went to the 850's and my tuner who's a good dude came to the house with a base program to flash my car so I can drive it to his shop (instead of rollback) for tuning/dyno work.
    Even worse I think the cylinder walls will wash out and you will damage the motor. Ive heard of some guys driving too the tuner then the motor dies while on the dyno. Could be bad luck or could have put so much fuel into the cylinders that the oil was watered down and kaboom
    Current mods
    Lt1z stage 2 cam - johnson lifters - Dynospeed 4.5 intake/Green filter - Mamo LS7 ported TB - ARH headers and x-pipe to stock mufflers - Weapon X Track attack HX - weaponX carbon fiber spoiler and side blades - Varimax HX pump - NGK afx wide band - 2.45 Griptech upper - ATI lower 8.8 ring - Green belt - idler pulley - Id850s, Zl1 lid - NGK TR7ix - MSD wires - Mighty mouse catch can - BMR ice box - Side Swipe -
    160ish or 170 thermostat- Tuned.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

850's = tune or no tune

Stock tune will run 850's to get them to your tuner. But they must be tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by t.j.t View Post
    Even worse I think the cylinder walls will wash out and you will damage the motor. Ive heard of some guys driving too the tuner then the motor dies while on the dyno. Could be bad luck or could have put so much fuel into the cylinders that the oil was watered down and kaboom
    I saw it done (washing the cylinders) in the early 90's when guys were adding crap to their fuel on the vettes and the injectors were not built to use additives that guys were trying. Luckily my tuner has tuned cars with 850's so he just dropped it on mine and said "no boosting just bring it to the shop" lol..

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Stock tune will run 850's to get them to your tuner. But they must be tuned.

Stock tune will piss almost twice as much fuel as requested down the cylinders on the stock tune until the trims max out and pull 25% or so back out. Highly recommended that you either wait to install them at the tuner or get sent a base tune to load and then drive to the tuner. Driving untuned injectors that are 10 lb/hr bigger are not a huge deal. Going from 52 to almost 100 lb injectors is IMO.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

850's = tune or no tune

I prefer to drop a base tune in, but 20 miles won't kill it.

Not suggesting to drive it that way and getting tuned in a few days.

Straight to tuner.

Last edited by larry arizona; 01-03-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by P's2011V View Post
    Absolutely. My tuner was about an hour and fifteen minutes away, so I went through the motions of swapping out the injectors at my house, without actually installing he new injectors. This allowed me to figure out exactly what tools I needed to take with me to the tuner. I showed up an hour early and did the swap in the tuner's parking lot.
    P's2011V likes this.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    I prefer to drop a base tune in, but 20 miles won't kill it.

Not suggesting to drive it that way and getting tuned in a few days.

Straight to tuner.

Not something I would suggest to someone as OK. I know some get away with it but people do all kinds of things they probably should avoid.
    Last edited by Lt1z; 01-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Jim
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I don't mean to thread jack so forgive me for jumping in here but I've got a set of ID850's on the way that I was planning on installing next week or the following week. If I flash the proper injector data through HP Tuners will the tune need to be modified or will the injector data be sufficient? The only mod on the car right now is an Airaid intake and a few tuning changes to the transmission. I plan on doing more mods in the very near future but wanted to get the injectors done first. Next mods will be ported TB and snout, pulley(s) and cat delete followed up by some cooling mods.

Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    why bother doing the injectors when they aren't supporting anything? You have nothing to gain by installing them now and they're so easy to do, wait until you do the other mods.
    '12 WD non-wagon

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Just like everyone else said, any time injectors are changed to a different rate then you 100% require a tune.
    Hidden Content
    Brands you can find at the Black Market!
    Procharger | Whipple | Borg Warner Turbos | Injector Dynamics | JMS| ARH | Cobb | Fore | Squash | Meisterschaft | Weld Wheels | Forgestar | MRR Wheels | M&H Tires | MHT Wheels | Weds Wheels | ProEFI | Megasquirt
    and many more! Call 480-382-1696 or email Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Jim
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Got it. At first I was planning on buying pulleys first but didn't want to risk installing them and running lean so I picked up the injectors at a great price and figured installing them wouldn't hurt anything as long as I adjusted the tune to run the injectors. My V is a DD so I try to schedule things that I can get done in a day and will get a few other pieces purchased before installing the injectors.

Thanks!

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Injectors swapping shouldn't take long, you can probably do it in the parking lot before your drop it off.

CNC ported blowers, heads from WCCH, new Eaton rotor packs for your LSA blower, Mamo ported throttle bodies and more:
    Sales@dynamicflowconcepts.net
    Dynamicflowconcepts.net
    http://dynamicflowconcepts.net/t/superchargers

2010 Thunder Gray sedan, A6, ebony recaros, LPE 650 (well, sort of), AR headers with (blown out) cats, 22" Magnaflow resonators, 9.1/2.5" pulleys, ID1000's, ZL1 Lid, CNC ported blower, WCCH heads, Mamo Motorsports custom cam, 102mm TPIS TB, DSteck Flex Fuel module, ZR1 HX pump, custom HX tube set, Fluidyne 3X HX,4.5" intake tube, FlyingV installation

Jim
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Closest drop off place from me is 200+ miles so I get to do all of my own work and while I've been tuning my own vehicles with HP Tuners for a few years now, I'll go with a reputable tuner and have a remote tune done as I'm still getting my feet wet on this platform.

Sponsored Links