Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Tips on wrapping window trim

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Tdotwin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so I've bin trying to wrap my chrome window trims I thought I'd start with the bottom piece with the seal on the top and bottom. The problem I'm having is when I cut alone the seal in some spots I'm getting a line of chrome and that just won't do for me it would bother me every time I got in and out of the car. Anyone have some tips for me I see a lot of people have done it but I don't see any tips and tricks.

Example of the chrome showing through.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you have the pieces off, can you remove that seal? If not, try a heatgun to stretch the vinyl out some to cover it.. Or the easy/crap way would be to plastidip the trim and then wrap it. It would just make a slightly less noticeable if you cant stretch it to cover

#3 ·
Yea I wasn't able to stretch it out with messing it up so I ripped it off and will try again. These are the only pieces I'll be taking off the car. The only reason I took these off is because it was to cold in the garage. The seal is glued on and doesn't even really move at all making it very difficult to get the vinyl under it. Good thing I bought a shit load of vinyl haha

#5 ·
That works also, just make sure to not cut through the seal. I know I was able to get quite a bit of stretch on mine with a heat gun

#8 ·
I would but the other pieces aren't going to be coming off. I have a coupe and the rear quarter glass is part of the trims so that can't come off. I just took this piece off because it was easy and to cold in my garage at the time to work on the car.

I've heard nothing but great things about plastidip from other users. Might be something to consider if you keep having troubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea a lot of people like plastidip I am not a fan though. Just happy I bought a 5'x8' sheet of vinyl have enough to make plenty of mistakes.

#18 ·
Just started mine last weekend.
Get the wrap laid down except the edges and use a squeegee (stiff like a credit card) and push it up to the seals as best you can and just cut slow with a brand new blade for each one.
I did this and don't really see any gaps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.